Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 27-10-2013, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

It's obviously a troll post. Nonetheless it makes for interesting discussion on the following points:

1. Image and social status. Like it or not, people are always forming impressions of us. We cannot stop what people think of us, but we can try and influence them through our actions, the job we do, salary and of course our possessions.

2. Life is short. To each his own. Some delay gratification, while others live for the moment. I think striking a balance is the way to go. You never know when your time will come.

3. Judging others. We tend to judge others by our own standard whether it is appropriate or not. Eg. Is a 2 bedder condo inferior to a 5 room HDB flat?

4. Showing off. This is in all of us. We need validation and the best way is to compare against your neighbors. Eg "I earn double your income"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Haha! Household income only 100k pa at 46 with 2 schoolgoing children think your social status has been upgraded and people look up to you just cos you live in a $1m condo in Upper Bukit Timah? How small is your condo unit? 1 or 2 room? I seriously hope that whoever wrote the above is joking! Even if you do not spend any of your 100k pa income until you retire at 62, you will only be able to save $2.6m. When you retire, most probably have to downgrade again? So wats the use of buying a condo when in the end, you can't afford to keep it? I really wonder, are there really people who think they have made it just because they own a condo? Btw, me and my wife are in our very early 30s and our income is more than double yours. However, we bought a 5 room flat as our first home and are slowing building up our assets thru stock market and unit trust investments. When the time is right, most probably will invest in another property after we clear the HDB loan. Will probably retire at 55 to enjoy life. So, does this mean that you have more class and enjoy a better lifestyle cos you live in a condo? I seriously doubt so! Anyway, I still think its a troll who wrote the above. If it was, nice one, I had a good laugh! ;p