Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as a quant developer/analyst in Singapore
View Single Post
Old 18-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Donny

Guys, let me shed some light on this matter from someone who is actually a quant (not risk management but quantitative trading) and actually knows about the companies and the figures.

From the top US school I graduated from, my room mates were seeking these sort of jobs. Some of them got it, straight from graduation, with high but not that exorbitant starting salaries.

(figures roughly converted to SGD$ for easy comparison.)

The highest salary someone coming straight out of undergraduate and working as a quant - $150,000. The place is Jane Street. First hand knowledge.

That straight out of PhD - I would guess $220,000 is doable. The place is Renaissance Technologies.

So why all this skepticism that these numbers are fake? Simply because most Singaporeans are not tuned into the quant scene outside Singapore. I'm thankful for my adventures in a top school where you are surrounded with this sort of talent that is worth this kind of money.

When you are fighting with this sort of talent, it's not longer a matter of getting a first class. It's a matter of how well you can marry computer science, math and finance together.

-Donny