Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Project Manager Path
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2013, 10:59 AM

lordlad is on a distinguished road

FYI to TS, in the Financial modelling industry....many company gave new grads the title of Assistant Vice President....new grads that is at 23 and earning about 3K+ per month...the title for them is so that when they are meeting clients, the clients will 'feel' better because an AVP is actually 'serving' him....

it bears not purpose for the employee itself.

We should worry and emphasise on your skillset and its relevancy in regards to your company/industry rather than what is your title. A title of AVP/manager doesn't mean a safety net. In the 2009 crisis, it's the middle managers and AVP/VPs that got hit the hardest because (no offense to those ppl), there are the most redundant.

The company cannot laid off the entire ground staff, analysts and engineers as they are the one ACTUALLY doing the work. Top management obviously won't laid off themselves, so when it comes to budget savings, who are you gonna cut? The middle management of course..

I am in the opposite spectrum of you as I don't want to be a manager and don't inspire to be (though got promoted twice but i left the job for somewhere else)...To me, reputation, skillset and your presentations skills is more important than the title itself...

In my previous job, i am the regional Administrator for the APAC region located in the SG office. My job is in charge of APAC. The SG office has another IT manager. But his pay is way lower than me and he is way below me in terms of techincal skills and 'actual power'.........

I suggest you concentrate on something more substantial and tangible than just a title.

my 2 cents.