Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Jobs or industries with good work-life balance
View Single Post
Old 27-09-2013, 07:20 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalifah View Post
Frankly speaking, a stable and repetitive work will make it very hard for you to get a new HDB flat seeing the rates now. Or to even start a family. The middle class range in Singapore is also getting smaller and smaller.

If what you are looking for is financial freedom, time freedom and a happy life, starting a business is probably the best idea. You should read Robert Kiyosaki's books. They make sense, especially in this day and age.

I'm my own boss and I'm happy with my job (:
You are doing well in business - good for you.

But generally, Singapore is not easy to start a biz in because (1) rentals are a real killer (2) no real ecommerce potential (target market too small, and people prefer to shop on the big websites anyway) (3) all the big boys are here (with economies of scale and brand names), and (4) ideas get copied too quickly (bubble tea, anyone?).

Empirically, a number of my friends have been successful in business. But ALL of those who are successful, (1) start out with (a lot of) parent's money (can afford to start big enough + failing will not cause their family to starve) or (2) are from a family of entrepreneurs (hv sufficient institutional support).