Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Ntu sociology degree
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 04:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm a sociology fresh graduate. I unds how people feel about sociology, but please do not undermine our degree or think that your degree is much better than ours.
It doesn't mean that if you study biz, you'll definitely head into banks or biz corp. Many of my NBS friends had a hard time finding jobs, now they're doing contract works in banks; which I think is a good exposure too.
If you're taking an accountancy degree, good for you, because this is one of the few degrees which offers near 100% employment.
Frankly, my sociology degree has gave me some worries after I graduated. It's indeed harder to find jobs with our degree, but so are my friends who major in EEE, Biz (banking and finance), Bioengineering etc. It all boils down to your luck. I did have my regrets when I think about my future prospects, but I guess at least I was happy with what I learnt in school.
After 3-4 months, I've found a job, some of my soci friends have already been employed prior or right after graduation; some found in a few months time; and there are others who have yet to find jobs.
I believe such situation is similar across different disciplines.
To the TS, just study what you think makes you happy. In the end, whatever job you choose, not only is it based on your luck, it also depends on your prior work experiences. Go to school, study something you like, join CCAs, make friends, network, go for internships and etc.

Good luck
been working for a few years after grad and seriously what you study doesnt really matter. companies really care more about your experiences and achievements in your fields. i rmb when i first went for interview, my degree was totally unrelated but i had related part time work experience. i got the job and i rmb throughout interview duration, nothing was really asked on my degree at all and all about my experiences. and its quite a technical job somemore.