Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2013, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

Thanks very much Whizzard for the detailed reply.

Indeed, I had to disengage myself from the business world due to the unhealthy lifestyle. I am now healthier and I am a much more at peace with myself. My blood pressure plunged, my cholesterol level has improved and I laugh more often.

It is a big adjustment for my family, but they understood. The love me a lot and hence agreed with my decision. They had to make sacrifices, no more nice ride in the 5 Series, no more biz class seats for US/Europe holidays. But they are thankful I still keep the condo as they love the pool, gym and tennis court. We now have to travel by Economy to Australia, NZ for our holidays.

I wish you the best in your quest towards retirement. Hope you could join my club sooner rather than later. You too keep healthy and take care man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzard View Post
I mentioned brave (in the positive sense of the word) because of the following:-
(1) Disengagement from the business world;
(2) Rebuilding of a new lifestyle;
(3) No more employment income;

The above are reflective of my own perspectives and may not coincide with the perspective of others. I find it difficult to let go of my engagement with colleagues and business associates as well as the forced discipline of having a career. Secondly, I haven't the faintest idea what I would do to meaningfully occupy my time and contribute if I were to retire. Lastly, the absence of a regular employment income would mean I have to think twice about my spending.

However, health is certainly a very important matter and if you really need to disengage because of that, it is a pretty rational decision. Money can't buy health, as the saying goes.

I wouldn't want to go into specific details on my income or networth if you don't mind. I stay in a landed property and own 2 other condos in D9 for investments. I have managed to sell off all of my overseas properties a few months ago and I am looking to deploy the cash when the appropriate opportunities present themselves. I also invest in a portfolio of bonds and equities and have some money in different managed funds (which haven't been performing). Lastly, I also invest in ST esoteric products for yield enhancements. My aim is to achieve a level of passive income where I can comfortably finance my retirement lifestyle with some leftover for capital accumulation.

I would like to enroll in a university course when I retire solely to learn something e.g. Philosophy or History, etc. I also see myself traveling extensively for trekking, diving, golfing, etc, health and energy level permitting.

The 2 main factors which I am working towards resolving are (1) my passive income and (2) disengagement from the business world. I know I will get there but I don't know when at this stage.

Once again, congrats on your choice. Staying healthy is very important and staying positive/happy is the other goal. Cheers!