Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineering and Technology Careers are Not Valued - Singapore is "High Cost Low Tech"
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2009, 03:10 AM
advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Story View Post
This is true. Engineering is having the one of the worst pay in Singapore. Even though, you are a A star scholar or whatever, the pay is still worse than those of your peers that ventures out into business sectors.

If you are thinking of having an engineering background degree and ventures into other occupation successfully and getting better pay. I can tell you, then you shouldn't go for engineer at all, at the 1st place.

I do know of people who do career switches, and they do it only investing in 2~3 years in engineering. And those that are highly paid and rewarded engineers are in fact known as entreprenuer.

I was a NSTB scholar in local university. NSTB is now known as A star. That's was 10+ years ago. After gradated, I work in few MNC. Now hold a manager position. But constantly, we are face with recession, and lay off. In fact, even though I consider myself lucky. My salary was not even comparable to those classmate I know of in IT or business line.

Engineering can be market as very rewarding. But in fact it isn't. These are all marketing lines...as engineers are needed to be the base for the industries.
Sincere advice: you can probably get ahead by first brushing up on your writing. Read more and learn to express yourself clearly in proper English.