Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineering and Technology Careers are Not Valued - Singapore is "High Cost Low Tech"
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2009, 11:31 AM
pres-sales

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjhchong View Post
Undergrad--,

Sorry to pour cold water on your concept of AStar: they don't pay that much for researchers... unless you r a foreign talent... I was from there...

Getting a PhD could help somewhat, but you still need to be savvy & in-the-know & hoped like HELL your PhD thesis is the latest & hottest (like for eg. quantum computing or nanotechnology or experimental brain surgery or something like that)... I have interviewed a few PhD graduate which we reject because they are too focused on doing research & did not conduct implementation... it's... well, tough... so summarize in ONE word... I think even Einstein will get rejected by AStar if he just talk his Relativity...
Researchers enjoy the stability and the freedom. They have free time to dabble in anything they want, simply by justifying that it's related to the general research direction set by management. Look at the profs when you were in uni. Do they look stressed at all?

But if you want money and you're energetic and enjoy meeting people, go for sales, presales and consulting jobs in technology.