Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career switch from govt to private sector
View Single Post
Old 29-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniuspear View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post here seeking advise. Im currently a regular police officer for the past 4 years. 26 y.o with a higher nitec in electrical engineering drawing a comfortable salary of about 2.9k.

Im actually looking to switch into private sector. Alot of my classmates and close friends are mainly in private sector. They encourage me to try the sales line, since I own a car, they say it shouldn't be an issue getting hired. They say avg pay outside now is abt 1.7k basic with 800 car allowance + comms etc.

I find that rather attractive as as a regular, I would not be able to hit that salary range in the next few years. In fact most of my friends encouraged that I leave the public service before I become too old.

Im looking at the sales executive or sales engineer career as suggested. Any advise for someone like me? Is there any other line that I can try despite the fact that I only have work experience in law enforcement and I only have a higher nitec? I know some people here are going to say security guards or cleaners etc, But im seriously in need of some help here. Thanks
My gut sense is a lot of your friends are jealous of your position and trying to pyscho you to bring you down to their level.

Look at it realstically and dun just assume you will be the one who will make it big. The pay, benefits, stable bonus, job security you are getting it now is what most of your ITE peers are desperate to get.

Unless you are some undiscovered sales hot shot, chances are you will not get back anywhere your total pay now for the next 7-8 years, that is assuming you dun get screwed along the way. Once you are out and dun make it in sales, your lousy academics and lack of exp will severely hamper you from getting anything at all.

Always think of downside, dun just assume you will be the special one who will overcome odds and make it big.