Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Salary and job for a Diploma in Engineering
View Single Post
Old 21-07-2013, 03:34 PM

ragegoh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubberbus View Post
I'm currently an Uni student. My point of view may not be correct. But if u are only a diploma holder, i think can say that ur salary will not be able to compare with one with a degree holder. Yes experience is very impt but imagine u having a 5 years experience while someone who is new and join ur company as a degree holder + younger than you. he will be ur boss and earn more than you.

Based on ur current situation, getting a $2k salary and a pay raise of 2-3% every year wont get you far.

So getting a degree is really worth the shot. Your salary may just jump from 2k+ to 3k+ with better job prospect. able to take up higher management role in the future.

If you finding a job, try not going to recruitment agency, they basically take part of ur salary. if you go directly through the company, I believe you are able to nego for a better pay.

I dont know anything abt TEG but with UniSim I believe you are able to exempt some mods. you will be able to complete less than 4 years. Or you can always gain more work experience first, at the same time apply for NTU/NUS as a mature applicants.

"" Mature Applicants
Candidates who are at least 25 years of age with at least 4 years of working experience (after graduation from polytechnic) as at 1st July of the admission year may apply for admission as Mature Applicants.

To qualify as a mature applicant, you are required to submit a Personal Statement of not more than 200 words and 2 Referee Reports from at least one employer. Shortlisted applicants may be required to attend an interview.""
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
totally agree.. diploma and degree salaray diff about 1k.. even with a private deg salary diff can be 1k... my friend whotook a private deg 1yr plus prog is earning abt 1k more than me a dip holder.. unless ur the type like me content with 2k+ salary, haha.. i suggest taking a deg but must invest the $$$ to get one as degree courses dont come cheap.. unless ur company subsidies for ur course.
I understand that degree holders will get much higher pay than me.
But my main concern now is how to I even get to earn at least a $2k+ salary.
The agents seems to be pulling down my pay by alot.
And I'm worried that my future employer will use my last drawn salary as a gauge instead.