Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Salary and job for a Diploma in Engineering
View Single Post
Old 21-07-2013, 12:17 PM

ragegoh is on a distinguished road
Default Salary and job for a Diploma in Engineering

Hi,

I got a Diploma in Electronics and Communications Engineering (Telecommunications).

I just started working in June 2012 in a Dutch MNC with their R&D department based in Singapore.

My position held there is 'Associate Engineer' but was on contract (1 year renewable).

I renewed my contract 2 months ago.

My starting salary was $1,700.
My current salary is $1,800.
Monetary benefits is just AWS for the first year. And a performance bonus at the end of my second year but subjected to company discretion.

Can anyone guide me on the salary for a R&D associate engineer?
Those perm staff and the senior engineers thought that my salary is $2,000+ until i told them I'm earning $1,700. They all said I'm underpaid and should seek a better paying job in other company.

I tried applying a job before I renew my contract. A recruitment agent offered me a salary of ($1,700 x 0.15) = $1,955 and told me that I shouldn't expect more. The maximum they will offer is $2,000 based on my current salary.

Do all company HR pay based on applicants last drawn salary?
Don't they pay according to the job scope?

I also wish to know what other jobs is suitable for the diploma I'm holding.

I got an interest in PCB design but don't really know how to do a complicated one. If you want me to make some dimming and flashing led with a MCU like a disco, yes I can do that.

I'm 23 this year.

Some help here would be greatly appreciated!