Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 11:10 PM
Unregistered

Default some advice needed

I joined the Civil Service a year ago, 26 years old, 2nd upper from local uni. starting to feel abit disillusioned at work as there are many scholars and MAs who are naturally given more exposure and learning opportunities.

To be v frank, I joined my current Ministry b'cos the job market wasn't fantastic (and still isn't acty). Tried for the MA prog but only made it to the roundtable discussion and no further. Currently drawing about $3.6k (with NS) and to be adjusted to $3.9k+ upon confirmation. I know this is a pretty decent salary for a relatively young officer as compared to pte sector. Qns is, I'm starting to think I'm not cut out to be a civil servant, or at least I know this is not what I want to do for life. Don't get me wrong, I want to make a difference and achieve higher public value. Everyone though knows there's a glass ceiling for non-scholars and the work-life balance isn't that great too. I'm willing to clock 10-11 hour work days, but I guess it's important to find that sense of fulfillment and meaning in your work.

I would think i'm at the crossroads now whereby if I continue to stay, I ought to commit and make a lifelong career out of it. Otherwise, I should jump out before I get too mired into this comfort zone. I also believe many young grads may similarly face a mismatch of expectations and aspirations upon entering the workforce - I'm fully cognisant of that and I do calibrate my self-expectations from time to time.

Pretty sure there are many bros out here who have faced this similar predicament before and trodden this path - mind enlightening a fellow young junior, albeit somewhat lost sheep here? Whether you've chosen to stay, or leave, and how it has panned out for you. Understand that no two paths are the same, but I'd still gladly appreciate all advice and inputs