Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 07:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constantin View Post
Hi people, was just wondering what sort of salary to expect for Nparks (stat board) as a fresh grad. Im 26 y/o male recently graduated from a good overseas university (no.9 in the world for environmental sciences (which is what i studied)) with a First class honors degree. im non-scholar. What salary range am i expecting? will they recognise that i come from a good university and adjust my salary accordingly? and what will the career progression be like (just a rough idea) Thanks in advance =)

p.s. i will totally apply for ministry of env and natural resources but there are no positions open currently
Its good that you have a first class. You could probably bargain for a pay equal to a local first class graduate. But tbh, your uni number 9 in environmental science but if it still isnt Oxbridge, Yale,Harvard that kind, you will not be ranked as such. Or even worse, some organisations will put you even below local grads if your university is not well-known to them. Just a fact la. I believe you went to Queensland? Not looking good Aus universities as they usually give off the perception that you didnt make it to local uni hence have to go there to study instead, which is most probably true for many instances. Except for ANU and Unimelb.

Environmental Science is not very much in demand at all. Have you considered staying in academia? With a first-class, you could probably apply for PhD courses in NUS, which gives you a monthly 2.8k stipend, then you could go on to lecture in university as well. Government doesnt place much emphasis on the environment IMO, hard to find a job out there.