Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

Would really like to get your advice on this item. I've been working in a policy position in a stat board, this is my first civil service job and I am still under a probation contract. My ex-boss really liked me and my work, and gave me a chance to go overseas to the states for training and exposure. This resulted in me signing a minimum service period due to a training award.

After my ex-boss left 3 months ago though, I have had limited opportunities to work with her replacement. I was informed on the eve of my first year that the current job portfolio wasn't a good fit for me, and I would need to have my contract extended for another few months before they can consider confirming me as permanent staff.

I was further encouraged to apply for other jobs outside so that I have more options should I chose not to continue working with the statboard. I understand this is a bad sign for my future in the department. I'm not sure what lead to this result, as before my previous boss left I was graded quite well (B grader) in my mid-year assessment.

Regardless, I really want to continue working for civil service and will tough it out in my current department. But, in the case I take the advice of my current boss and secure a new job now, would I be able to return to Civil service with a broken Minimum service period? I heard of teachers breaking their bonds and returning to civil service in a few years.

Please advise if anybody has any experience.
Unusually, when a boss suggest to look for job elsewhere, it means that your contract will not be renewed. You should be allowed, unless due to other circumstances, to stay until the expiry of your contract. However, in this case, you boss could simply be using this as an excuse to not to convert you to a perm. In short, he or she is saying that your previous effort is not recognized and if you want to stay, you have to start all over again with your new boss.

If you have a bond, then you are obligated to complete your bond or you would be deem to have defaulted on your bond. Hence, I would suggest that you continue to work until your bond is discharged prior to making any move.

In this case, my take would be to accept the extension and not "voluntarily" resign. But towards the end, start looking for a new job because it is unlikely you will be given a perm position.