Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 29-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Unregistered

Default Career advice

Guys, I just turned 30.

I had a "slow" start to my industry, compared to my male and female peers, owing to 1) NS, 2) SMU (4 year program isntead of 3) and 3) worked for 6 months in my first job before switching to my current one.

I just got my promotion letter and am now earning 5.5k with 4.5 years of relevant experience, but I am highly disillusioned with my pay and current situation, and am considering moving to the IRAS. My current job has insane working hours. Every fortnight, u burn your entire weekend (daily hours are generally 9am-8 pm with max one hour lunch break). To add to that, the "slow" start had already cost me deeply. My peers at 30 are newly minted managers (it will take me another 2 years), foreigners and females are sometimes senior managers at my age, or just 1-2 years older. I feel completely burned out, and feel like switching everyday.

However, I'm quite wary of the paycut. I have heavy financial commitments. If i stay on for another year, my next pay scale will be 6400-6600. Thereafter, swithcing to another pte sector job usually comes with a 5-10% pay increment. But compeititon is stiff and opportunities are few (tax is a very narrow field).

I'm really tussling between staying or moving. If i stay on and continue to plough in the insane hours, there is a high probablity of promotion (70-80% probability if u have average performance and don't screw up). However, I am already experiencing some minor health issues (though i force myself to exercise 3-4 times a week). If I move on to IRAS, I'm not sure the pay offered and the promotion speed will be anywhere comparable. Plus, I'm not a scholar (high merit degree).

Somebody please advise. I need clarity of perspective.