Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - NTU Business or EEE
View Single Post
Old 27-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Unregistered

Hey Davis111

It is difficult to answer your queries if you do not state your motivations for undertaking either degree. Which sector do you intend to work in after you graduate?

From the dilemma of the your university choices, I would assume that like everybody else, you want to pursue a career in finance - or more specifically, investment banking and all the glitzy finance roles.

Having applied to various investment banks while studying in the UK, I can assure you that the banks do not care what you study in your undergraduate degree - the classification of honors is far more important. If you are more confident in scoring in EEE, then do that degree. The only advantage that I think business graduates have over EEE graduates is the awareness of all these job opportunities. Most local engineering graduates are not aware of such opportunities, this is due to the fact that they do not have a dedicated career service. Having said that, if you are motivated enough, there is nothing 'google' can't do in this day and age.

Most importantly, a EEE degree is a safety net. If you graduate when the economy is in a downturn, the banks would stop recruiting and you still have a job as an engineer. Also, banks are increasingly hiring engineering graduates in middle office (risk management etc.) due to their quantitative abilities.

Lastly, I just want to point out that if you decide to choose to do a business degree, it is paramount that you get at least a second uppers. If you do not get at least a second uppers, it would be really tough justifying to future employers how different you are from the countless economics, accountancy, business and other general degree graduates.