Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2013, 02:41 PM
Unregistered

Thanks for your comments. I have spoken to a few friends and relatives, some of them are successful investors themselves. They shared with me the pros and cons of the various investment vehicles. In summary, 70% of them prefer Singapore property as their main investment asset. So, I have decided on Singapore property.

I did some research on propertyguru and found quite a number of 2 bedroom condos are selling for $800k. For my family and I, we just need a 2 bedroom unit for stay. I can then buy another 2 condos for rental. In total $2.4m. I will need to use my savings for the various transaction costs and stamp duties and small renovations. After deducting all these, I still have about $200k as emergency fund.

With the 2 bedroom condos, I think I can get about gross $3k per month each or net $2.5k per month, so I will get passive income of $5k a month in total. Our total spendings per month can be about $4k a month as we would have no mortgages and no other debt. If we can maintain the car, we will keep but if the maintenance and running cost is too high, we will just sell it away or use less often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You are joking right? He bought his properties sometime back (meaning at lower values), while you are entering at this elevated price environment.

Let's look at the options.
What you have : $2.5m

Condo for own stay: $1m (at this price can only get a 2 bedder - maybe 750 sf?)
Agent, stamp and legal fees: $35K?
Renovation & furnishing: $100K (simple one)

Condo for rental : $1m (same as above)
Agent, stamp and legal fees: $50K (incl ABSD)
Renovation: $30K (enough for renting out)

Emergency fund: $250K

For 2 bedder, I think can get only $3K monthly rental? Or $36K pa. gross

If put in stocks, can get better returns (from 4-8%). Some more stock now correction, good window to go in. More manoevrable - if need cash, can sell in parts. Property not so liquid. Some months no tenants then how? Still got recurring cost, maintenance and taxes, repairs

btw are you supporting yourself only - then $2.5m is adequate to the end. If got wife, and children then by hook or by crook better get a job.