Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Unregistered

Sorry to hear about your predicament. It is true that older professionals have difficulty getting a new job. This is the harsh reality. You must be prepared to be unemployed, you either have to retire or you have to bring yourself low to become a security guard or taxi driver.

If I were you, I will not invest so much money into the stock market. The stock market is volatile, and you can even lose all your capital. In crisis, stock prices can plunge as much as 90% and may not even recover at all. On the other hand Singapore property is more resilient and will rebound very quickly. In 2009, the property market fell by 30% but then rebounded strongly. Now property prices is even higher than prices before the 2009 global crisis.

I would recommend you buy a small $800k condo and invest the rest into a rental condo NEXT to an MRT station. This is important as condos next to MRT stations can still be rented out during a recession (but at lower rentals). You can easily get $48k pa for a $1.2m condo next to an MRT station. Keep the balance $500k as emergency fund. If you can keep your expenses less than $48k pa, then you can effectively retire since you have achieved financial freedom. Of course if you can get another job, it would be a bonus. Some ways to reduce your expenses include: getting rid of your car, stop maid services, stop unnecessary subscriptions, stop investment related insurance products (just go for protection), stop kids' tuition if you have kids (you can teach them instead), reduce eating out (just cook yourself), get rid of all loans if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Dear all,

I need your kind advice.

I was let go one year ago after 20 years with the company. I think I cost too much. Got retrenchment benefits which is almost finished. I gave myself one year to get a new job but unfortunately there is no available jobs that pays $200k pa any more. My age could be a hindrance. I have given up hope to get back to my previous role.

My assets today are worth $2.5 mil, the bulk of it in my condo (no loan, paid up). What should I do? Should I downgrade to a small condo worth $1m and buy another condo worth $1.5m to give me passive rental income? Or should I just get a $500k HDB flat and invest $2m in the stock market?

Appreciate any comments and advice.
Thanks.