Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What is the best way to grow your net worth?
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Zhang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree with those who say property. I bought my first property 10 years ago with a starting capital of $200K. after buying and selling a few units to date my realized gain is $1.35M and paper gain is $550K. As for stocks i have only earned about $80K as i am not confident to dump in too much capital.
Be careful man. All the property guys are unregistered. May be the same guy for all you know.

My father's property bought in 1979 went up 40x. But do I think the same is going to happen for my time ? I'll be stupid if I do. Different times call for different strategies.

For all those who think property goes up forever, remember Spain (where property went up for almost 30 yrs from mid 80s to mid 2000s) and the US (where there has never been a sustained downturn nationwide until the subprime - so much so that the rating agencies did not model a downturn into their models). In each country, citizens believed that prices will never go down in the long term.

What's more Singapore, where there has been 3 distinct downturns in the last 15 years (1998, 2001, 2009).

Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it.

Myself ? I'm putting money in M'sia property (selectively because it has gone up quite a bit as well), and stocks. I would like to put into US property as well, because I think the dynamics are positive, but logistically not easy (those being sold in Singapore are being marketing to Singaporeans, and not Americans for a reason).

Do your own research. Read up. Its your money. Its your life.