Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm 40 years old, earning only $40K pa. Sole breadwinner.

I'm very poor compared with so many here who earns $200k pa. Looks like earning $200k pa is so common nowadays, not surprising why condominium prices keep rising and rising.

I dream to own a condo here but it will always remain a dream, unless I buy in Spain where there are many empty condos. But in Spain, I will be jobless, so no point. At least I have a job here.

I think I just have to be happy with a HDB flat. With my low pay, I will apply for a new BTO and get grants. BTO flats are so nicely built today. I must be contented. Just be happy. I'm already very lucky.
You did a few things right here:

1. Recognising where you stood financiallly with respect to the others.
2. Counting your blessing with what you have (a job, adequate salary, a good country and government)
3. Being contented and not be stressed by things you want but dont have

However it would be a terrible mistake to totally ignore progress taking place around you. Ignorance is not bliss here. It is good and I think necessary to always take stock and see where you can further increase your skill / employability and thus salary. In a dynamic and open society like Singapore, standing still is the same as going backwards.

Another thing everyone needs to do is to start financial planning for retirement - the earlier the better.

I have come across various blogs of singaporeans that have embarked on the path of establishing passive income stream quite successfully. You might want to visit these blogs to get some ideas (just google the below).

1. Dividend Warrior
2. Createwealth8888
3. A Singaporean Stock Investor (or AK71)
4. Investmentmoat

In my opinion, the best one is AK71, a 41 yr old single who claimed to have achieved over $100K annual passive income from investment.