Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2013, 08:21 AM
Unregistered

Sorry to hear about your predicament but that is life. We can't live life thinking all will be well and as what we plan for. Don't wait till the last minute to do what you always wanted to do. Don't say "I'll do charity work when I retire at 65". You may not even live that long. Do it now, be a blessing in this world. There is no need to work so hard till you drop dead leaving behind so much cash, cars, properties, and all kinds of wealth to your children as they may just become lazy bums who would squander away your fortune. Instead, teach your children well to become good, responsible citizens.

I was in your situation a few years ago. I used to live in a big landed house and own investment properties. I got a heart attack one day, almost lost my life but survived. It was a wake up call. I am now a changed man. I stop the pursuit of material wealth and focus on the spiritual. My heart is now more at peace and I wake up every morning feeling blessed by the Creator. As my wife was not working, I had to make tough decisions. I sold my landed property at a good price, pay off all my loan and now owns 3 properties. My family and I stay in a condo and rent out the other two condos. We survive on $6k per month. I sold away my car, stop having a maid and cook at home. Life is so much more meaningful today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have worked very hard all my life, from school to working life. Now I am in my forties and I am now told by my doctor to slow down or else I will die early due to my stressful corporate career. I don't want to die before seeing my children grow up and get married.

I discussed long and hard with my wife and kids and we concluded that I must stop working immediately and take a break and then find a more relaxing work. Luckily I have not wasted my big salary and bonuses on expensive cars, gambling, parties and women all these years. Instead, I have invested in a few properties. Now I can get a net rental income of $10K per month. I have decided to quit my job next month and will survive with this rental income. I believe my family and I will survive, even though we are not used to living on this small monthly income.

A healthy meaningful life is more important than tons of money. I am lucky my family loves me very much and they don't want me to die a sudden death.