Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2013, 01:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I worked for 7 years since graduation.

My first job was only 1.8k/month. I did not study hard in school, got a basic degree, took the first job I could find. I was those slack types who wont turn up for classes, never study prepare for exams, never bother to find internships, never bothered to put up a good impression in front of professors to get reccomendation letters. I was just interested in living a happy life and enjoy my uni days.

The 1.8k job shocked me to my senses.. I was a total loser by any country's standard and especially by Singapore's standard. I was a liability to my family which was poor.

I did not give up. I choose to fight against the system and struggle to overcome my poor start. I took night classes 4 times a week to get professional certifications, work OT in my jobs to learn anything that I thought could help me move from a non finance back office job to a front office job, which I ultimately did. When my boss or colleagues ask me out for drinks, dinner etc. I will go no matter how much I hate to socialize(i am an introvert). I will go to seminars to network. All in hope that people will be more willing to teach me. I will volunteer for extra work. I will stay back to help my colleagues do their work so that I can learn what they are doing. I was also lucky to have good bosses who recognized my drive and gave me the responsibilities to perform. When I go home at 10-11pm either after work or classes, I stay up to study until 2am. Next day, I reported to work at 9am on time. My salary was so low that I had to scrimp and save to pay for my classes. Dinner and lunch was usually only a piece of bread and water from the tap.

Gradually, things improved and my pay jumped almost 10 times over these years.

But as I switch jobs and increase my salary, it just made me more and more unhappy as I climb and see more and more pple earning so much more than me.

after a while I realise, it was the journey that I loved, the constant learning, the passion that I had to learn new things and apply them to practical solutions to help people.

But
Aiyah, you are not alone lah. There are many people ahead of you still struggling in their 60s and 70s. Last night, PM said people should continue to work past 65.

Ministers, top CEOs, professionals all moving on from to other jobs once they stepped down from their posts. Who wants to call it quits?

Money is always not enough. People fight over their parents' HDB flats even when they are not needy.

Sad that people have yet to see the "light". It is understandable poor people may be too caught up chasing their next pay, but for rich people to be equally pre-occupied with money is really sad and disappointing.