Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 29-04-2013, 03:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Interesting forum this. Many views and opinions. Here is my story.

25 years ago, my wife & I set a target of $1M to save (not including the property we stay in) and then retire or to shift gear to a more relaxed lifestyle. We achieved that in 15 yrs. Seeing how the cost of living has crept up, we raised that target to $1.5M. We hit that target in 5 more yrs. Again, with persistent high inflation, we raised the target once more to $2M, we hit that 2 yrs ago. Now at 50 yrs of age, we still have not achieved peace of mind to call it a day. Our target now is $3M. With careful investment and passive income of $80K per yr, we are well on our way to hit $3M in 3 yrs time.

It dawned on us that what will give peace of mind is the continuous stream of income rather than the amount saved. With $3M, I think we could generate a stable stream of passive income of $120K per yr. I think then we could either retire or shift gear.
Thanks for your story. Could you also share why you are aiming for $120k per year? Is this your annual expenditure? Or have you included a buffer for future inflation and unexpected expenses (like medical?).

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app