Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - work life balance for parents
View Single Post
Old 28-04-2013, 11:30 PM
Verified Member

darialim is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi darialim

To you, what is the definition of work life balance?

For me,

work life balance = reaching office at 8am and leave office on the dot at 5.30pm.

OT is definitely a no-no!! = consider NO-work life balance

Working on weekends/public holiday/any time outside my official working hours, ie mon-fri(8am-5.30pm) = consider NO-work life balance

summary:

work life balance = reaching office at 8am and leave office on the dot at 5.30pm from monday to friday only.

the rest of the time should be spend with your family/friends/or doing personal interests/hobbies.

Hi, my definition of work life balance is the employer and employee being able to give and take when necessary. For example, I don't mind working office hours, but when there's an urgent family matter, I can take time off to settle it and choose to replace the lost working hours via working from home etc.

It's about being more flexible, employer placing priority on quality of work and productivity than looking strictly at hours clocked, and employee being able to manage his time according to situation, and having flexibility to do work other than stated times, and flexibility to attend to urgent family matters without feeling the stigma of being blacklisted.

Whichever kind of work life balance you subscribe to, it's about finding the supportive employer that respects the circumstances of whichever life stage you are at and accommodates to a reasonable degree the working arrangement you prefer.

But this sounds too good to be true for most people.