Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 21-04-2013, 10:08 PM
Unregistered

It's true - I missed out on quite a bit to preserve some anonymity. My Masters was financed with a full scholarship from the university itself - I come from a lower middle class family with no money to spare for my education. I worked very hard to get good grades and secured a full ride for my Masters. My college education was also paid for by scholarships.

My spouse came from an even more humble background - but he worked just as hard and I helped him identify various scholarships that he could apply for. We ended up being very blessed in this respect, with our education fully financed.

As for the HDB - again, very blessed, bought it at a time when the property market was down and so it was really, really affordable. We do still have the housing loan, but we plan to pay it off in the next 3 years. We have to be very disciplined for this, of course.

Yes, we needed our combined CPF and savings to take off a load off our housing cost (so it's not just me alone!). So don't feel like you're a loser or anything - it's just circumstances came together well for me I guess.

Again, I emphasize that I'm a simple person and a natural "squirrel". By age 24, before I went for my Masters I had amassed 50K+ by then through sheer discipline and prudence from the multiple jobs I took on during college. During my Masters I even held down 3 part-time jobs at one time! So I'm just a "workerbee" - but a happy one, of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyplane View Post

i dont doubt you r where u said . but i think you must have missed out a few points in mentioning how u arrived .

a. You mentioned Masters in top tier US university n spouse studying as well.
how was this financed ?

b. any cheap hdb property in singapore cost money. assume 400k, u still have down payment , minimal reno. whch cost $$$$

c. if you had worked so little yet able to pay off the above, u either had a spouse whom had the necessary cpf savings plus cash or parents.

If you financed your own education and all above then truly , i think u have mastered something i m truly keen to learn. i went the self help route all n paid for my uni , wedding, reno etc by savings n i didnt reach your status until i was 35. i am no where like the many posts here but i think i represent the real singaporean in the sense we r far far away from thinking about retirement n stuff like that because the cost of living is high n our salaries r not rising like what is posted.

some here can i m a loser as compared to their grand salaries n from the money angle , that is true.... but that to me is the reality of life. one winner, many losers....nevertheless, to win in life, money is not the only thing.and i m thankful that i realised that a long long time ago.