Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 21-04-2013, 07:26 PM

lazyplane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workerbee View Post
I have a feeling that many who are posting here are male, so here's my contribution:

Female, late twenties
Actual working exp, <<1 year! 2 years Masters, 2 years self-employed + spouse to a studying hubby

Decided to return to the workforce (admin in education line)

~88K per year total includ bonuses + profits from very, VERY small side income stream.

Basic pay = very low, but 9 to 5.30pm job, lots of flexible benefits. Great location, working env and amazing colleagues + boss.

Current Savings: 40+K

I personally feel that we're quite lucky for a young couple. We only have a housing loan which we aim to pay off in 3 years (HDB flat) and have no wedding, renovation or study debt. We don't have a car at present but are coping with public transport.

It may be a surprise to many but our standard of living is very high simply because we don't crave for branded goods, expensive holidays or gourmet meals. We are simple people and we're really happy every day because we are not saddled with debt. Some of my high-salaried pals have so much debt they can barely save 500 a month, but I can save at least 2-3K a month.

I guess it all boils down to living within your means. If we keep comparing, we'll never be satisfied or happy. My husband earns way less than bankers or traders, but I don't need him to because we're already so contented. I rather he be healthy, fit and have time to spend with me than be overweight, haggard and spending his nights in the office.
i dont doubt you r where u said . but i think you must have missed out a few points in mentioning how u arrived .

a. You mentioned Masters in top tier US university n spouse studying as well.
how was this financed ?

b. any cheap hdb property in singapore cost money. assume 400k, u still have down payment , minimal reno. whch cost $$$$

c. if you had worked so little yet able to pay off the above, u either had a spouse whom had the necessary cpf savings plus cash or parents.

If you financed your own education and all above then truly , i think u have mastered something i m truly keen to learn. i went the self help route all n paid for my uni , wedding, reno etc by savings n i didnt reach your status until i was 35. i am no where like the many posts here but i think i represent the real singaporean in the sense we r far far away from thinking about retirement n stuff like that because the cost of living is high n our salaries r not rising like what is posted.

some here can i m a loser as compared to their grand salaries n from the money angle , that is true.... but that to me is the reality of life. one winner, many losers....nevertheless, to win in life, money is not the only thing.and i m thankful that i realised that a long long time ago.