Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How important are honours degrees?
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxdx View Post
Thanks for your reply.

The thing is my uni somewhat follows the UK system whereby our grade averages are classified into 1st class, 2nd upper, 2nd lower etc., however the bachelor itself is not written as, for example, BA(Hons.) but simply BA. (fyi, I'm a 2nd upper)

There is the option of doing a 4th year to effectively get a BA(Hons.) degree, however not many people choose to pursue that option, given the aforementioned grade average classifications and the relative costs involved.

Is my 2nd upper average thus relevant, and does the civil service look to pay to grades achieved, or simply the cert itself?
Although you mention your Uni is among the top Oz Uni, it is still better to check whether your Uni is in the accepted list of Unis by the Civil Service. Some Civil Service Organisation can be very picky on where the degree was awarded. Some only accepts minimum 2nd Upper honours for certain jobs.

In interview, dont ever give the impression that you considered joining the Civil Service as a last resort.

For your info, the civil service grabs top local graduates while they are still in their final years. This is considered the second harvest. First harvest are those already on their scholarships.