Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Stay or Go, Fresh Grad Seeking Advice
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I can understand where you are coming from. A job that is too free is also stressful as you may struggle to fill the time or find the sense of accomplishment to keep you going. I can relate to it because I have been through that and many people have told me "Stop complaining, you dont realise how lucky you are, blah blah blah."

I would say these comments are not constructive and does not help your situation at all. In fact, they will only lower your sense of worth and ask you to accept this situation.

I would advise to give your job a 2nd chance. First, assess what you are doing, what your skills set are, what would you like to do and what are the opportunities you can identify in the company. Next, speak to your boss, be truthful and forefront about this, saying TACTFULLY that you would like to have more opportunities to contribute and based on ur skillset/interest/available opportunities, you would like to propose to do this and that or hear what your manager can offer for you to take on additional responsibilies. DO NOT SAY YOU ARE TOO FREE..lol. thats not a good picture to paint.

If all goes well, you could be given additional tasks and will have a much more fulfilling time with your job. Unless another attractive offer comes along or that things dont improve even after you have tried to proactively change things, then I think its time to move on.

Welcome any thoughts/comments on this. Feel free to shoot!

All the best bro and keep us updated!
This is just text book answer not anymore constructive than those who ask him to stay put and lobo. In fact it can be very dangerous if you are not careful in the nuances you unintentionally send to your boss.

Sure the ideal scenario is the boss value your feedback and finally put your talents to good use, but I think more likely scenario is:

1) Boss realise you too lobo and pile more work
2) Boss think you are one of those young punks who only want to talk strategy, do sexy stuff and refuse to do grunt work
3) Boss label you as flight risk and inititate back up recruitment to replace you, better he control the timing of your firing than you stunning him with resingation
4) Boss realise he is over-paying you to do simple work, makes life miserable to encourage you to resign so he can replace your h/c with a cheaper budget

Of course it is easy to say worse come to worse just resign and join another company, but to get a good role in a good company is not easy and under time pressure to grab the first available job due to any of the 4 scenarios arising doesn't help at all. Not to mention leaving a black mark in your CV for staying so short in your first job...

My advice is do not initiate such conversations unless the boss is the one who starts an in-depth discussion on this subject first. Meanwhile stay lobo as you can while covertly searching other openings. At least in this case you will have the luxry of taking your time to choose what you want, easier to disappear for interview because you dont have much to do anyway and before you know it you would have loboed there for >1.5 years which looks better in the CV.