Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Prospect of an chartering executive
View Single Post
Old 19-03-2013, 02:49 PM
Verified Member

walsly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
oops, sorry read too fast. yeah, the chartering team is the one chartering from owners or brokers.

depending on your cargo and frequency you may be doing long term time charters or shorter spot or voyage charters. bareboat charters are possible but more unlikely unless u have a big operation going on. in which case u will most prob have a ship manager to manage your operations.

the chartering exec's job is to find the best charter rates through comparing time charter equivalents. charter rates correspond very closely to world commodity prices, eg iron ore, coal, crude, etc. i know charterers have teams of analysts with very advanced voyage planning software to hedge positions and charters based on location, opex, etc.

shipping was a glamorous job until banking took over. still a good industry to be in.
how would u advise if a fresh grad wishes to break into this line? how should i go about doing it? I'm due for graduation soon (exams finishing in may)but unlike most of my peers who r all rushing into the banking & finance industry, i'm actually looking elsewhere , in particular the maritime industry ( despite holding a economics toilet paper)..
I applied shipbroking traineeship with several big brokering hse but i doubt i could get in cos of the stiff competition.. I'm now looking at alternatives such as chartering exec..
Seems like very little firms r willing to hire fresh grad to be place right into their chartering team..or should i take up ops role first to be at a better bargaining position ?

TIA!

Last edited by walsly; 19-03-2013 at 02:52 PM.