Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 18-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Verified Member

luwb is on a distinguished road

I don't usually like to comment over this forum, but, having seen this line of discussion, I will give my 2 cents worth of opinion.

I have been a private tutor for the pass 20 years and now I am running a tuition school that has more than 1,000 students. I started my career with one student some 20 years ago. I am not a MOE teacher. As a matter of fact, I applied to MOE twice and they rejected me on both occasions.

This may sound proud to u but not only they missed a good teacher, they missed me in their selection, 2 times some more. It mades u question MOE's parameter of selecting a teacher.

Teaching in a school and private tuition is TOTALY different.

Putting politics and administrative work aside, u will be given a class of 40 to teach and both parties, teachers and students, have no other option but to be put in the same class room whether they like it or not.

In private tuition, it is a willing buyer and seller market. The number of students one can solicit solely depends on yr teaching skill, charisma and parents management. All these 3 qualities are irrelevant to yr love for teaching. I am seen many teachers love to teach but they can't teach. Teaching is not in them.

To me, the ability to teach and to motivate students is a gift, one cannot attend NIE course and assume he/she can do this job well. This is the reason why a lot of great teachers eventually become private tutors. The top 3 teachers in my school is not MOE trained. As a matter of fact, the more problematic ones in my school are the MOE teachers.

If u want to take up private tuition as yr career, u must be extremely good or else the market will eat u alive as competition is too stiff.