Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 14-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i personally find my job quite interesting. basically you are in charge of a few areas of responsibilities in your portfolio, and you deal with policy recommendations and proposals in that portfolio. for e.g. you might identify a gap in the current policy for xx area, and you can staff up a paper for discussion and subsequent implementation. You must be ready to defend your recommendations though! You might also have to react quickly to emergency situations and think on your feet (e.g. calls from your bosses at 1am) . You get to go for inter-agency meetings (this is both good and bad) and staff your bosses on calls/trips. you also go for seminars and courses to strengthen your knowledge in the area.

of course, not everything is rosy. There are mundane stuff like minutes writing, preparing logistics for calls, looking at legislation etc etc. working with slow colleagues can also get frustrating, or when you get bogged by red tape. but i guess every job has its goods and bads, just that we need to be okay with it.
I don't understand why the mundane stuff can't be done by the admin colleagues...even university grads also have to take care of the mundane stuff in addition to the more important matters such as working on policies? I mean, taking minutes of meetings? You don't need a university degree to do that, for crying out loud...

Not ranting at you, just ranting at how it seems like such a waste of one's education to be taking minutes...