Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 14-03-2013, 09:11 PM
undergrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Any parent would be happy to have you as their child. Already thinking of taking care of them.

I think it is important to know yourself in deciding the career you want to pursue - your nature, your goals in life, your disposition. Many young ones start out by making the mistake of mindlessly chasing $$$.

Stories abound of seemingly successful career people burning out and taking a 180degree turn in their life choices and doing charity instead.

I come from a family of teachers - my wife, sisters, and close friends and even their wives. Although I am not a teacher, I worked in the civil service. We all worked in 1 job all our lives. Yes, we cannot make big bucks, but is $$$ the only thing important in life? Our income is at least steady, and granted that we may have started our careers early before the crazy housing prices, most of us are staying in landed properties and condominiums.

Teaching is more than just a job, you are dealing with young and impressionable minds. Working hours is deceptively long. Deceptive because all teachers bring back work to do even though they appear to work half days only. My wife frequently worked pass midmight to prepare lessons, set and mark papers. But she never complained, because I think teaching suits her nature and her patience.

Back to the $$$ angle, comparing to my cohort, many of my friends in the private sector have changed jobs a few times. Some had been jobless for long duration. Ironically, many of the success stories are those holding high post in the government or government linked companies. Only 2 or three are making big $$$ in the private sector.

Office politics there will be, but it is definitely a jungle out in the private sector. If you are hard working, eager to take on responsibilities and job assignments that your colleagues avoid and yet excel in them, you will do alright whether in civil service or outside.
Hi there, thanks for taking time to reply. Honestly appreciate constructive feedbacks from forumers.

Your wife must really be dedicated! I'm not even sure my dedication will go such a long way like her, and teachers like her are quite rare. Many teachers I've known in my schooling days go home by the evening so i sort of got the impression of how relaxed it can be. Didn't see the hardwork they put in back home so it's wrong to judge.

It's really that bad in private sectors? Haha gonna think again, i'm actually thinking of trying out private sector some time in my life, but if teaching is going to get me stuck i should really reconsider. Yes i get the pay cut issue, can imagine how drastic it's going to affect a late twenties who are planning for marriage.

Thanks for the response. Will reconsider again, but just submit my application for time being.