Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 14-03-2013, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergrad View Post
Hi,

I'm a local undergrad in science, thinking of taking up the teaching bond.

I've been giving tuition for quite some time and i find teaching enjoyable. I know it's early to sign before i graduate but it doesn't make financial sense to join MOE after i graduate. You see, MOE sponsors generously for studies and even pays for allowance. That translates to about $60k + of remuneration for four years of education in exchange for four years of bond.

I came from a humble background, my dad is always looking forward to retirement and i hope to ease his burden so that he can retire earlier.

As far as i enjoy teaching, I hope that this career doesn't bring me to a dead end. I understand that teaching has 80% admin work which i'm not sure if i like. I'd like to ask about the future prospects.

Do teachers lose out when they decided to join private after their bonds? Is 28 years old too late to start climbing the corporate ladder? Is it possible to take a masters while i'm serving the teaching bond?

Urgently needing some answers as application closes this friday.
Any parent would be happy to have you as their child. Already thinking of taking care of them.

I think it is important to know yourself in deciding the career you want to pursue - your nature, your goals in life, your disposition. Many young ones start out by making the mistake of mindlessly chasing $$$.

Stories abound of seemingly successful career people burning out and taking a 180degree turn in their life choices and doing charity instead.

I come from a family of teachers - my wife, sisters, and close friends and even their wives. Although I am not a teacher, I worked in the civil service. We all worked in 1 job all our lives. Yes, we cannot make big bucks, but is $$$ the only thing important in life? Our income is at least steady, and granted that we may have started our careers early before the crazy housing prices, most of us are staying in landed properties and condominiums.

Teaching is more than just a job, you are dealing with young and impressionable minds. Working hours is deceptively long. Deceptive because all teachers bring back work to do even though they appear to work half days only. My wife frequently worked pass midmight to prepare lessons, set and mark papers. But she never complained, because I think teaching suits her nature and her patience.

Back to the $$$ angle, comparing to my cohort, many of my friends in the private sector have changed jobs a few times. Some had been jobless for long duration. Ironically, many of the success stories are those holding high post in the government or government linked companies. Only 2 or three are making big $$$ in the private sector.

Office politics there will be, but it is definitely a jungle out in the private sector. If you are hard working, eager to take on responsibilities and job assignments that your colleagues avoid and yet excel in them, you will do alright whether in civil service or outside.