Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 14-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by undergrad View Post
Hi,

I'm a local undergrad in science, thinking of taking up the teaching bond.

I've been giving tuition for quite some time and i find teaching enjoyable. I know it's early to sign before i graduate but it doesn't make financial sense to join MOE after i graduate. You see, MOE sponsors generously for studies and even pays for allowance. That translates to about $60k + of remuneration for four years of education in exchange for four years of bond.

I came from a humble background, my dad is always looking forward to retirement and i hope to ease his burden so that he can retire earlier.

As far as i enjoy teaching, I hope that this career doesn't bring me to a dead end. I understand that teaching has 80% admin work which i'm not sure if i like. I'd like to ask about the future prospects.

Do teachers lose out when they decided to join private after their bonds? Is 28 years old too late to start climbing the corporate ladder? Is it possible to take a masters while i'm serving the teaching bond?

Urgently needing some answers as application closes this friday.
Dude one word of advice - Teaching pte tution is very different from being MOE teacher. Do not join base on the fact you like giving tuition!

Being a MOE teacher is a government job of which teaching is just one of the many things you will be doing. Also if you want to move up to HOD level because of limited slot, expect fierce office politics and backstabbing. They do not promote the best teachers to be HOD, they promote the best politician who know how to play the game. HOD to VP level is 100% politics 0% teaching skills.

I know many good teachers who just want to teach get sidelined and forced into the "teaching" track instead of the "management" track. Once you in teaching track, it is game over for your corporate ladder. A teaching track has no real meaningful promotion, only service recognition nonsense like Senior Teacher or Subject/Curriculum head. These are fake titles as you will have no subordinates and still be doing all the grunt work till retirement. Some nasty HOD will even bully Senior Teacher into doing more OT by asking them to coach the younger ones.

There are now many teachers who after staying with MOE for many years then realise they have lost the game and no hope so move to pte tuition in their late 30s. Generally mid career teachers who move out have very little option as they have limited skill sets and corporate experience. 90% end up in the tuition or pte education line.