Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 06:28 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Excellent advice, sir. I will heed it for my own career development. May I ask which industry you're in? It seems the stay with 1 company career track is a lot more difficult nowadays, with restructuring the norm and loyalty not being rewarded. Myself I'm a manager in an IOC.
IOC means international oil company? My company is providing services to manufacturing and production companies.

My perspective is from staying with one company and it has gone through turmoils as well. I am not saying do not look for opportunities outside. I've been headhunted and also offered jobs by others in my industry. I will never know if I will be better off if I jumped ship.

I am tracking 2 of the people that I used to manage and currently in their late 30’s. Both have jumped two times and are doing well in terms of salary at their age. Both just changed job within the last 2 years. Not sure if they will be contented because at their age and salary levels , the new companies will expect performance and delivery.

First to go are normally those that are hired mid level with very good pay. But because of less personal network and creditability with the organization, they appear in the 'list' more so often when the company restructure.

One can be loyal to people but not to a company. When an MNC makes changes, it is almost faceless. The decision is to benefit the top people and the shareholders which normally do not have emotion connectivity to the working people. That is the reason I feel the longer tenure with a company will help you build the people network that is very valuable when you need it most.

Cheers.