Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 02:02 AM
Unregistered

Technically u are right. There are salary ranges tagged to each grade, e.g. MX11, MX10 and so on. (Appointments such as manager and AD are just appointments so it is more accurate use such grades as a reference)

However, the situation usually won't pan out in an 'awkward' manner which you have illustrated (can't find a better description than awkward...hee). What happens is that the annual increment will be very gradual and there will be promotions from time to time. Eventually, assuming the non-scholar's highest attainable grade is MX10, that will limit the salary to a ceiling of around 10-11K or thereabouts. Upon reaching this point, he/she wont get any further increments (which you are right). This may take place at the age of late 40s or early 50s.

But do note that many non-scholars do have a potential of MX9 and below, meaning that they will eventually reach super-scale. Think of that as the Principal or vice-Principal grade in a MOE school. This will enable them to breach the 11K salary threshold. I can't recall the upper limit but you can scour this forum for it.

In my opinion, although civil servants may not earn as much as doctors, lawyers and bankers, but they (or rather, we...hahaha) do get paid 'decently'. I am not as clever as these people so I am happy to be a civil servant. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Given the (sometimes rather generous) annual increments that even non-scholars in the civil service seem to enjoy, I was wondering, do these non-scholars ever reach a point where they no longer get an increment?

I seem to recall a few people saying that there are pay ranges for each position e.g. Asst Mgr, Mgr, Asst Dir, and so on. So what happens when a non-scholar reaches the high end of their pay range but isn't promoted? Do they then no longer get an increment? And if so, if they continue to be stuck at whatever position they have attained until retirement, does it mean they never get an increment, EVER?

It would be great if someone in the know could clarify, many thanks