Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - is 3rd class honors useful?
View Single Post
Old 27-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
I believe it is still just as difficult.

What is your major? This will sound cliche but there are _always_ industries that really require us Singaporeans take up.

I took up a project engineer job at a construction firm after being approached by an agent after graduation. They were more than happy to hire me (a local graduate) instead of a Malaysian etc. Pay was crap for the first 2 months. After probation (which ended early for me), I negotiated and got what I wanted (at that time) and actually more due to OT pay, bonuses and other perks. It was tough but it was infinitely better than being jobless.

A large population of our generation are after instant gratification. If you have neither luck nor the grades on your side, I guess you can still bite the bullet and challenge yourself with a "less-desirable" job and who knows how it will turn out?
Thanks for sharing your experience.

I think the problem with many people who post question here in salary.sg is not about wanting instant gratification per se, rather more like lack of perspective on how unimpressive their achievements and career experience are.

Most people here always ask questions on jobs in major O&G, FO banking finance, top global MNCs, ship brokerage, top consultancies etc. But at the end of the day inevitably their academics and work experience will be rather mediocre and you kind of know they will never get the job they want and just wasting time asking questions on things they have no hope of getting.