Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 26-02-2013, 11:59 PM

wern is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobhunter1234 View Post
Hi wern, I think you are already doing quite well though. But I'm just curious that why did you apply for public sector since your degree is a pass merit (no offence). I believe you do know that the salary scheme pars to an individual's qualification, thus I suppose you won't really benefit in terms of starting salary and future prospect. Rather, I think you will stand a better chance if you apply to private sector instead. However, you can just ignore what I have said if you have genuine interest to serve in the public sector, or rather, you wanted a much more stable job.

All the best hopefully Ministry X will you the job.
The blasting session i had with the DD and Head is pte and I prefer not to say.
All I can tell you is that HR probably made a mistake, misread my CV.
The JD was so vague yet they came expecting me to know Java, C++ from a non-IT guy like me. I def won't apply to a IT position if I knew it was one.

My current contract position is in PTE sector and I generally know (after working there for a while ) that I'm a civil service kind of person la. Some people like the prospect of boundless limitations to pursue money and goals but I'm a kind of person who doesn't like my KPI being tied to how many clients, how much accounts I can bring in per quarter. The money aspect just doesnt appeal to me. Work life balance is higher priority that I place on myself.

I can accept the glass ceiling because I have other income streams. Parents have been managing a small stock portfolio for me and I will be taking it over and contributing a % of my pay to it once I get a proper FT job. Both my parents were civil servants and they know the biscuit tin+ bluechip stock secret to growing your wealth (of course at a slower rate compared to pte sector highfliers lah). Single guy here anyway.. not much committments per month. My handphone plan is the cheapest one available and I don't intend to get a car. Actually making some longterm planning for a house in the future already. But theres extremely far away from now. Anw aren't you a scholarship holder?