Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - career as RSAF air force engineer ME4
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2013, 10:50 AM

cslee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is true they are selective about who they recruit, just like any other companies, but they (the air force and other MINDEF agencies) have a limited pool of potential employees to choose from because they can only employ citizens. Many young graduates are also not choosing engineering fields so the pool is really small.

To counter that, I understand the starting pay for new grads (2nd uppper and above) are attractive - like close to $4K or more?

MINDEF / SAF do fire people but only due to mis-conduct such as fraud, corruption or leaking classified information.

Typically within the first contract, an ME4 will be promoted to ME5. ME7 (equivalent to full colonel) is like superscale grade earning above $13K per month. And with bonuses, the annual pay can cross $230K. Understand that the highest ME in the air force now is ME8 - equivalent to a BG.
I'm a reservist with air force ie. interact with many regulars there. Generally agree with this post.
Pros: Good work-life balance with attractive remuneration, generous leave/off-days and progression. Free meals and clothing. No need to worry what to wear to work. Good job security unless you commit serious offences like bedding the minors. Hard to find the same benefits elsewhere.
Con: Regimental lifestyle. Prepare to stay for life, as it would be a challenge to find equal pay/position elsewhere (including Civil Service) should you decide to leave one day.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Last edited by cslee; 06-02-2013 at 10:52 AM.