Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Dilemma: Accountancy vs Investigator
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 10:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused_88 View Post
I shall resist the fat and juicy fake carrot! But its hard to feel gutted forgoing an instant 60% increment.
Let me offer my perspective as someone who is near retirement. Hopefully it will help you see things differently or "out of the norm or box" if you like.

I was recruited by one government agency even before my final exams while at NUS. Then, my main thought was to secure a job first, while I focused on my project and preparation for the finals. I was thinking I could always change my job later if I do not like it or if I could find better paying jobs elsewhere. Well, I have worked in this government agency for close to 30 years already!

Sure, the remuneration was no match for some of my classmates who worked in the private sectors. But then again it was a stable job, stable income and all in, I think while definitely I am not among the top earners, I am also not near the bottom of the pile either.

In the almost 30 years, our economy have been through a few downturns (some very bad ones too) and I have seen some of my former classmates got retrenched and some have remained jobless for a long time even though at one time they were earning fat incomes in the private sector. All through the economic turmoil had I once need to worry about my job, my income. It was there. Also the agency I worked in believed in staff professional upgrading and consistently sent staff for professional courses, further studies (both local and overseas universities).

And if building wealth is your concern, maybe you are not aware that many of the landed properties out there are actually owned by civil servants including many teachers!

At the end of the day, if you are capable, you will rise whether in the government service or outside. And if you are not capable better to secure a place in the government service. At least they do not sack you, at most you get stuck at a very low appointment.