Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 18-11-2012, 10:57 PM

Tracker is on a distinguished road

Not sure if this helps but this is my experience. Might help for fresh grads but prob not anyone with more then 2 -3 years experience.

When I first started working I had a pretty tough time finding a job (The uni I studied in wasn't fantastic lol) So I took a part time job paying about 600 per month doing filing and stuff for a family friend's company. I would then write a lot of things I did for the firm in my resume and the family friend would back it up (Its wrong but hey I was a fresh grad from a no name uni)

In the meantime I send numerous resumes out, some tricks I learn (not sure if it applies today were)

1. Tailor your resume to suit the company you want to work for, every firm wants something different, independent workers, team players, team leaders etc. I had multiple resumes for various job scope. I cut some experience for some job scopes and emphasis my experience in others.

2. If you really want the job send out a resume and a hard copy of your resume in the mail. A4 copy and print the address on it, this way the HR must read it or physically bin it. Pressing the delete key is all too easy, I know of HR dept that bin some resumes purely because they think the candidate is ugly (go figure)

3. Don't turn the resume's into essays, I've read 10 pagers which really puts people to sleep. Also make sure your cover letter really shines.

4. Also if you get the interview learn to BS abit (not too much), read up on the company history and their culture. Also buy the latest copy of the business times and read the bits which may impact the firms business and turn those into questions during the interview. As the interviewee you would want to know if the company will do well in the future and also if the culture fits you as a person.

But the best thing that gets you in the door is connections, if you know the right people sometimes a simple phone call gets you the interview. After years of working my friends who slogged with me behind the desk and partied after work are now hiring people, temp staff usually and they would send emails out to us (old friends) to see if we want to Kai siao anyone we know for them to hire. Normally if we intro someone they would get a interview at least assuming the resume fits what they are looking for. (At least its one step in the door)

Good luck with the job hunt

Last edited by Tracker; 18-11-2012 at 11:00 PM.