Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What are you investing in?
View Single Post
Old 15-11-2012, 11:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
can you share your experience with Industrial Properties? any pitfalls to look out for?

i invested in landed property around 4 years ago, and currently sitting on around 30% gains. won't be selling it anytime soon as i believe it's a superb long-term investment (>10 years) that will always come out winning in the end due to the limited supply.
I got my properties at a good time and a good price, currently its at a 50% gain over the span of a few months which made me suprised. To be honest I dare not commit in this market given the extremely high price.

For example my yield is now 5.7% based on what I bought, if you buy at this price now you're looking more at a 3.8 or less percent yield.

Currently rentals are considered high cause alot of offices rent industrial space for use, if the URA clamps down then this may not be the case.

That said I still think there are some gems to be found, consider you target tenants (Warehousing/ Office and storage etc) and model your purchase accordingly. High ceiling 8 M and above plus ramp up enough to fit a lorry on a low floor is attractive. (Was looking at one in woodlands freehold but kanna snap up). Bearing in mind industrial space usually rents from 0.6 - 2.0 psf pending on location, buy a new unit with an old one next door and your rental will have to be pushed down.

You will also need to consider amenities in the space itself (shared toilet for the whole floor/individual toilet) it helps you widen your tenant pool.

A lot of developers are now touting Light industrial almost with Condo facitilities, do thorough research before investing in these cause they not only go for a premium the tenants you get are in a grey area seeing the URA does not permit them to be offices.

Unfortunately I do not know enough to advise sufficiently, I just got in at a good time before things went up.