Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Salaries of Professors in SG
View Single Post
Old 26-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
agreed. But getting a phD is not confirmed get tenured prof with 150k p.a . So, if one have passion, somehow one will find a way. if just target money, one may suddenly fall down with no net. Because there are a lot of phD out there who are overqualified and jobless.
My main point is to go in with eyes open.

If you are ok with doing something you love, and are good at, and are ok with the fact that the job that gives you both is likely to pay $2.5k a month, then good for you.

But don't stmble into it because you are brainwashed by everyone else into thinking passion and aptitude are the only things that are important, and then be disillusioned when you land your dream job and find that it doesn't pay... just because you were too naive or lazy to ask about the payscale before you got in.

And of course, knowing how stable the job is, and how likely you are to land that dream job are relevant considerations you should research before you go in i.e. if you jump into banking and finance as a major, put all your hopes into getting into investment banking, and do not make it, well, I say you should have known the odds. Or if you get in, and get retrenched, then it should be no surprise to the person who did the necessary research.