Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Private Sector vs Public Sector
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 07:01 PM

Liverpool is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by androidguy View Post
Hi all.

I'm a 33 yo guy currently earning $5.7k in the finance industry. After I graduated from NTU accounting with 2nd upper honours, I've got 2 job offers, 1 from a stat board and another from the finance industry. I took up the finance, even though it is of slightly lower pay. Now that I'm 33, I'm beginning to wonder if I have made a mistake. I'm considered an slightly above average worker... with bonus of about 4-5 months on average. Will like to check out the opinions of you guys if those working in civil service can get around $5.7k a month at the age of 33. I've got a friend who graduated together with me (NTU accounting 2nd upper as well) and took up the offer from a ministry and then transfered to stat board. From my convo with him, he seems to be earning about $8-10k a month. Is this possible, or is he overstating his pay? Appreciate all comments...
it is possible. maybe deputy director territory. but not normal, he must have done good work or kept upgrading himself, like part time Masters or something.

well what are your prospects like? You think you can become head of ops or whatever management role at your current bank? If not just jump to government job, pay cut nevermind, work your way to the top and hope to retire as a Deputy Director (8-10k) or Director (10-12k) before you retire.

And please don't just see pay alone, must see prospects.