Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 25-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Verified Member

pretz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mid life crisis View Post
Dear experts,

I am in my mid-40s and now in a mid-life crisis.
I work as a manager in the back office of a financial institution.
I work well with others but due to nasty politics, I'm unable to climb higher.

I feel very down, everyday going to the office, knowing that I am not realizing my full potential. I feel like quitting, but with family obligations (mortgage, kids, parents, etc), I can't do that.

Changing to a new company is also not easy in this environment. I'm thinking of joining the teaching profession or perhaps become a real estate agent or financial planner.

Can any experts here help advise? Currently I'm earning $110k per annum. Would these jobs give me that much?

What would you do if you're in my situation?

I believe if you want to maintain at least the current level of income or within 10% of it, either Teaching or Real Estate will not be able to meet your requirements, not for the next 5 years i believe. And I think you will need to work doubly hard.

Try and do what my ex-colleague did; he was 42 and knew he was in a dead-end job. Last year he spent about $10k in a new wardrobe, new look, etc etc, and then he started meeting people, networking all over from scratch. He's 44 now and just started early this year in a Management Consultanting role in a company that used to compete with his.

You have one very important thing above all the young single hotshots willing to put in 12hrs a day; your experience. Try to sell that aspect of yourself.