Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 23-07-2012, 06:39 PM
Verified Member

pretz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Vessel Chartering (Clean & Dirty), $12400/month ( $174k / annum), 4 years working experience>>>>>

could you describe your work-life-balance or working hours? Work on public holiday/weekend? No-life?

Need to be station overseas(long term/short term) ??

Stress, hectic (max/min)??
Officially, I am on call 24hrs a day, 7 days a week. Shipping never sleeps, when my vessel is in Saudi Arabai having a problem at 5am in the morning, i wake up to solve it. The real situation is that it has happened once only, ever.

My typical work day : wake up at 9am, shower, change, reach office at 10+.
It is a 99% ang moh company (i'm the only asian) so there is a drinking culture. I'm normally out of the office by 5 - 5.30pm at Harry's having beers (on company account).
My typical work evening : I normally meet brokers 2-3 times a week. This means free dinner/drinks at Morton's, Cut, Prime Society, etc etc, paid for by the brokers. Other evenings i go home to wife, play Call of Duty, Diablo 3.
My typical weekend : if problems, i boot up the laptop and make a few calls to my operations team. if no problems, go for a run then massage, then play Call of Duty/Diablo 3

Dont need to be stationed overseas, but there is the option if i chose.
In Feb/March, i accepted a 8 week posting in USA to absorb their way of working, wife and i flew business class. Stayed at the St. Regis Business executive suite for 8 weeks, got paid USD200/day as per diem. This is only if you ask for it, otherwise if you prefer to stay in Singapore only that is fine.

Stress level... is not extreme. Yes, any mistake you make has the potential of costing millions. If you schedule a vessel wrongly, it can be losses of USD55,000/day PER vessel. I typically control a fleet of 15 vessels. I found i was more stressed in Starhub trying to meet stupid deadlines.