Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Jobs for Masters in Public Administration
View Single Post
Old 28-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Millionaire Member

Hermit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetxx View Post
Hi Hermit. Thank you for sharing your career advice: "academic qualifications only facilitates the entry into an organization. After entry, it is one's performance that counts."

Now, I have a few questions:
1) after one year, when I have completed masters degree, if I cannot find a job, should I go back to the Police force as a SSGT? The salary is abt $3200.

I am having that option as a back-up plan. It may feel insulting to some. But it is really ok to me.

I know my weaknesses: weak written and spoken English. I feel that in order to do well in the Public Service as a graduate, one's grasp of the English language is extremely impt. You need to write policy papers, reports, take minutes, write long e-mails and others.

I need to tap on your life experience: Do u think you think being able to speak and write well is important as a graduate in the Public Service?

I regret not going on to a JC after my 'O' levels. JC is where one's basic academic skills are polished.

I am not you. But I won't go back. I usually mentally burn my bridges so that I have to succeed wherever I move to. You will find this even more important when you want to venture into business. If you keep looking back at your corporate life, you will give up sooner than later when the business gets tough.

English and report writing can be improved upon. Even more easily in this day and age of the Internet, Youtube etc. One search you can find a dozen sites that will show you samples of good writing. I went to JC. I don't think JC made me a better writer. I think it was more due to the stuff I read outside of school.

Even if your English remains the way it is, you might end up doing work that does not require that much paper writing anyway. I think there are many more job descriptions in the civil service that involves more managing projects, dealing with people, etc.