Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 27-06-2012, 03:46 PM
Millionaire Member

Hermit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I shall first answer the topic directly: My pay last year was $300k, excludes share of profit. I work in a family run business. I will hit 30 in a few months time.

What I really wanted to contribute to this forum:

Alot of us have a misconception of happiness being correlated to money. Not always true.

I started off very, very poor. My Dad was an aircon tech. First few years of my life (I can't remember but was told) we had to stay with my grandma. My primary school days was spent in a 3BR flat in Teban Gardens. I had no pocket money, I relied on friends to get by during recess.

Timing, right decisions and importantly luck, my family became rich very rapidly after my dad's business venture took off. By JC, we had gone from a 3RM flat in Teban Gardens to currently a landed property along Binjai Park.

Becoming rich didn't make my family happier though. On the contrary, though life was tough, my fondest memories are of my childhood. When our entire family of 5 (I have 3 siblings) squeezed into a tiny room, and when we children slept on matresses. Our family was very close knit. Dad will reward us by buying back charsiew meat every Friday. Those Friday dinners were just perfect, whole family getting excited, waiting for Dad to come home.

Becoming rich actually has made our family less happier. Dad has to travel. We rarely have dinner together as a family these days. My brothers are based overseas to manage operations. If we want to have dinner, we have to plan way in advance.

I won't say I miss being poor. But I would say I was happier back then.

Good observation there.

That is why I do not allow my children luxuries and expensive toys even though our business is doing well. For the same reason, my wife and I agreed to stay on in our small apartment rather than move to a big landed house even though we can afford it.

We have only 1 small TV. After dinner, we and our children squeeze into my bedroom and we all watch TV together. That is happiness enough for me. And our kids grow up normal.

On the other hand, my friend bough a 6 bedroom house even though he earns less. Everyone has their own room and their own TV, computer, xbox etc. No one can find any one else in the family. They have to shout and then call one another on their mobile phones !

Of course no one wants to be poor. But when one becomes more comfortable, wisdom is needed to manage the extra money. It is not as simple as maximising one's pleasure and pent up desires. Money is a double-edged sword. It can be your tool and it can hurt if you use it mindlessly.