Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - career switch to Asset management job
View Single Post
Old 20-06-2012, 08:04 PM
Unregistered

Well, here is one burn-out sell-side analyst stucked at work, looking forward to moving to buy-side one day or at least pray for the good times to come back so that I can retire early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm a retired senior fund manager, previously from one of the global fund management houses. The buyside is currently quite tight, with few people leaving. Hence few opportunities. It will be quite difficult for you to get into a global fund management house, even in a gopher-type position, without going to a top university. There are a lot of burnt out but experienced sell-side salesmen and analysts trying to get into the buyside and being just a financial advisor will not put you in good stead.

Since you are young, I would suggest that you try:

1. Local banks fund management operations like Lion Global, DBSAM or UOBAM. They do recruit local graduates and after a 5-year or so stint there as an analyst, you may be offered a portfolio management position, and in time be able to move to a global buyside house.
2. Work for one of the many hedge funds or family office funds
3. Get a job as a sellside analyst or salesman. Work 18 hr days until you are well-known within the industry. Then, move over to the buyside.