Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2012, 10:57 PM

cslee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hoping for some honest advice.

Am thinking of switching to civil/public service from current banking operations back office.
Am 33 this year, ntu engineering degree (pass), 5 years banking operations experience
Currently getting 4.2k only

What kind of positions (non-engineering, non-uniform) can I appy for in the civil service/public sector?

Do I stand a chance with pass ntu engineering degree knowing the civil/public places great emphasis with paper qualifications? (If not, i don't want to waste time trying)
May I know what's your motive of moving to government jobs? If for higher pay, you can consider yourself lucky if they match your last drawn. No government agencies would want to be limelights of paying above market rates (remember the town council sagas some yrs back?)

If it's for higher calling and passions like teaching/social service etc, then it's different story - for you'll be rewarded duly in many other aspects.

Based on other banking and finance forum threads, it seems to me that any bankers can easily out-earn any government workers in similar age by 2-3x at least. Maybe can consider movement within same sector?